When it comes to Social Security benefits, the author of today’s article points out an unfortunate reality: “Many retirees are depending on their benefits for a substantial source of income, yet they don’t fully understand how to maximize those monthly checks.” She proceeds to outline a little-known Social Security strategy for couples that, while perhaps not a pleasant one to think about or discuss, can help ensure a more comfortable retirement for you or your spouse. For more, CLICK HERE.
When Social Security’s trustees issued their annual report on the program earlier this year, it forecast that costs will exceed income next year for the first time since 1982 and that, if no action is taken, the program will run out of money by 2035. Given this, is it time to rethink the common financial wisdom that says it’s best to delay collecting Social Security in order to receive higher benefits? Might it now be wiser to start collecting Social Security early? CLICK HERE.
If Social Security benefits replace approximately 40% of your pre-retirement income, where do you find the other 60% –and, of particular relevance today, where do you find the other 60% when interest rates are near historic lows? Today’s article outlines one “simple solution” to this challenge, noting that “It can be more volatile than a savings account. And it can require you to do a little homework. But it can offer the retirement income you want.” For the solution in question – which involves diversifying across three different types of investment vehicles offering yields up to 7% or more – CLICK HERE.
While social security benefits, employer pensions and personal savings are the three traditional streams of retirement income, the author of today’s article points out that “there are…other potential sources of retirement income that are not mentioned often enough” – and he proceeds to outline three such nontraditional sources. For a discussion of these unconventional income sources and why they may be worth taking into account when planning for retirement, CLICK HERE.
Today’s article notes that, in 2013, Social Security benefits made up 52% of household income for those aged 65 and over, and at least 90% of household income for almost a quarter of older retirees. These statistics make the findings of a new study by the Government Accountability Office all the more concerning: The GAO has determined that “Americans getting ready to claim their Social Security benefits may not be getting crucial information they need to make the best decisions for their retirement”. What important information has the GAO found is not being adequately communicated, and why does one Social Security expert state that the GAO’s report “doesn’t even begin to suggest the magnitude of Social Security’s mistakes”? CLICK HERE to find out.
“Many people use retirement calculators to estimate whether they’re on track, but even the best calculator is subject to the universal rule of computer programs – garbage in, garbage out.” Today’s article outlines several common mistakes people make when assessing their financial preparedness for retirement that might produce a deceptively rosy picture of how on-track they are. By how much does the author suggest reducing your expected Social Security benefits? What percentage of retirees would like to work but are unable to, according to one study? What percentage of people end up retiring earlier than they (and their nest egg) had planned on? CLICK HERE to read more.